The construction of the wall on the southern border has been suspended, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) confirmed on Jan. 27, one week after President Joe Biden signed an executive order ordering the halt.
“CBP, in coordination with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, has suspended wall construction projects except for activities that are safety related,” CBP said in a statement, according to Fox News. “All projects are in compliance with the President’s Proclamation.”
A Democratic lawmaker previously said that construction would cease by end of day Jan. 26.
The Trump administration had obtained billions of dollars in funding to construct the wall. Over the last four years, amid legal and congressional battles, about 450 miles of wall were built along the border.
After Biden’s executive orders were issued, former Trump administration officials, including former Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Mark Morgan, said that the border wall is necessary to reduce illegal immigration.
“With the stroke of a pen, President Biden made this country less safe,” Morgan told Breitbart News on Jan. 23. “It’s pure politics over public safety.” Read more…